Provide the highest level of security for your device drivers, apps, executable programs and the users who download them…
There’s no better place to start than by offering the highest level of security with your software. With billions of downloads every year and thousands of options to choose from, you want every advantage you can get to offer the best experience possible to your end-users. Warning messages can cause loss of trust and revenue, which is why it’s wise to do everything possible to avoid having them attached to your organization’s name.
The DigiCert Extended Validation (EV) Code Signing Certificate is the ultimate tool of trust. With the use of two-factor authentication and an encrypted digital signature, this EV code signing cert helps you avoid warning messages, tamper-proof your software and offer secure downloads for your users.
The most important benefit offered by the DigiCert EV code signing certificate is that it instantly builds trust with Microsoft’s SmartScreen® Application Reputation filter. Microsoft SmartScreen warnings are one of the most frustrating problems software publishers have to deal with—it’s a big, scary warning that effectively kills software installs. SmartScreen is notoriously sensitive, often flagging new software packages as dangerous simply because Microsoft doesn’t have enough data on the file or publisher yet. Fortunately, there’s a simple solution: DigiCert EV code signing.
The EV Difference
- A more rigorous vetting process that shows commitment and offers peace of mind to end-users.
- Get superior security with two-factor authentication – this process entails the private encryption key being stored on a USB device. You will physically have this device after your purchase and only those with the USB can sign code with your DigiCert EV Code Signing Certificate.
- Don’t let Microsoft SmartScreen be an issue but rather an advantage – this EV cert will generate trust with this reputation filter, which will result in a reduction of warning messages and increased trust with users.
- Maintain complete control over who is authorized to sign code with the option to install the DigiCert EV Code Signing Certificate on Hardware Security Modules.
Features & Benefits
- Establish trust, brand integrity and improve download rates with your commitment to security and reduction of warning messages.
- Meet contractual agreements or be prepared to do so with a premiere and highly trusted EV code signing certificate.
- Comes with an optional timestamp that will allow for your DigiCert EV Code Signing Certificate signature to be visible even after it has expired.
EV vs OV
The DigiCert EV Code Signing Certificate offers several unique features that can be very valuable for software publishers. However, if this is outside of your budget, you may want to consider our standard (OV) DigiCert Code Signing Certificate. But beware, you’ll miss out on the instant SmartScreen filter approval.
Instant SmartScreen reputation is a very popular feature with small and medium software publishers for two reasons:. However, if this is outside of your budget, you may want to consider our standard (OV) DigiCert Code Signing Certificate. But beware, you’ll miss out on the instant SmartScreen filter approval.
- SmartScreen warnings are very aggressive, discouraging the majority of users from installing the software.
- SmartScreen warnings are an especially common challenge for newer publishers or software packages that haven’t built up reputation with Microsoft yet.
Learn more about the product comparisons with this chart:
Quick Feature Comparison
|OV Code Signing
|EV Code Signing
|Encrypted digital signature
|Requires validation of organization
|Instant Microsoft SmartScreen reputation
|Uses hardware token for added security